Your son or daughter wants to learn coding?
With a custom handbook, your son/daughter will learn the basics of Computer Science in a fun way.
When the students have finished these individual courses, they will be able to apply their knowledge on a project: Programming a Robot with LEGO® Mindstorms®.
This course aims at students from ages 10 up to 12. The student will be introduced into the concepts of computer science and will be challenged with computer science problems.
- You will be able to solve complex, challenging problems
- You will be able to make a positive difference in the world
- Computer science stimulates creativity
What is included?
- 1 colorful handbook
- 1 session of Programming a Robot with LEGO® Mindstorms®
- An I ♥ Computer Science T-shirt
- Certificate of participation
In this course, we will cover the following topics:
- Computers: hardware and software, programming languages, operating systems, process scheduling
- Boolean algebra: definition and basic operations
- Algorithms: definition and examples
- Artificial intelligence: definition and Turing test
- Cryptography: definition, Caeser cipher and SSL
- Bits and bytes: definition
- Programming a robot
Most topics are illustrated with examples and colorful images. Exercises help the student understand the concept. Each session will end with a history fact and a small task for the next session.
Who am I?
My name is Sven Thijssen. I have a bachelor's degree in Informatics at KU Leuven (Catholic University of Leuven) in Belgium. According to Reuters, KU Leuven was Europe's most innovative university in 2017 and 2018 (article for 2017 and 2018). I have discovered the wonderful world of programming when I was older. Therefore, I wish to introduce computer science to young children.
To follow these guided courses, a fee of $50/hour will be charged.
Location: at your home
Dates: December 2019 (days are flexible and can be discussed)
Attention: students will need to provide their own laptop (Windows or macOS required).
Places are limited, so be sure to sign up as early as possible.
- Partial payments are to made at the end of each session. For each session, I will aim for one hour of tutoring. The estimated number of sessions is six. You can stop the course at any given time. There are no obligations to take all sessions.
- Please provide a quiet place with two chairs and a desk. It is important for the student to be concentrated during these one-hour sessions as some of the content might be challenging.
- The ultimate goal of this course is to introduce students into concepts of computer science. Some concepts are not for the faint-hearted.
- No part of the course may be duplicated and/or shared with others without my written consent.
- If you wish to remove any personal information from this website, please contact me by email here.
- Currently only offering to residents of Waterleigh Phase 1 and Waterleigh Phase 2 in Winter Garden, Florida.
- The student will receive both his/her certificate of participation and T-shirt upon completion of all sessions.
- The course is provided in English only.
Image source: http://i.stack.imgur.com/q0miV.jpg